Friday, September 8, 2017

Sometimes Life Gets in the Way

It has been my intention to write more than I have been this past week.  However, like the title says, sometimes life gets in the way. Starting back to school this year hasn't been as easy as in the past.  So many things to be worrying about and so many things have kept me from getting organized, leading to everyday feeling like I start out behind as soon as I open my eyes.  Over the past few months we've had an unexpected death in our family which means learning how to deal with the feelings that come along with someone passing too soon, medical concerns/conditions to worry about, a washing machine to replace, and I've had longtime bout with sinusitis/allergies etc to get over, which is still lingering even after six weeks. (And I never get sick so this is a real strange event for me!) I've been so tired that I pick up my knitting and hold it in my lap to start working on it and either fall asleep with it there or just hold it until it is time to go to bed.

Yet, I believe in thinking of the positive as much as possible so while all of these things have happened, there have been so many wonderful and fun times too.   We had a wonderful family vacation in August, shared with extended family at my favorite place in Maine.  My husband and I spent a weekend at Foxwoods and enjoyed three days of thinking we were in a far away resort. My second grandson started Kindergarten.  I spent a day at the PGA Dell Technologies Golf Tournament with my husband, daughter and her significant other. Many more weekend activities are already booked throughout the next couple months to continue enjoying times with family.

Through all of these times, the good and the not so good, nothing changes the fact that my mom won't understand any of it. Alzheimer's has taken away her concept of time. When I cannot visit her because of 'life getting in the way', she is unaware....or I hope she is anyway.  When I go visit her after not seeing her for a week, she doesn't appear to even know that I have not been to see her. My intention is to see her a couple times a week but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way.

So for now, life at this moment or this weekend is going to be about getting back on track so life stops getting in the way. It's time to make a path. Sorting through the laundry to finally get to wash, getting school lessons organized for the next week or two, cleaning the piles of stuff around the house, and hopefully visiting my mom. Because even though she doesn't know I have been there, I do, and she is not something that gets in my way. I just hope she knows it.

For now, I will forge a path and hopefully life won't get in the way next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment