Monday, July 23, 2018

Barbie and Her Furniture and Get to Know Your Mom Now While You Can!

My mom was frugal before it was 'in' thing to do.  My mom's mom, my grandma Julia, died when my mom was only 9 years old. When she died, my mom had two little brothers, one 6 and one 3. Mom used to tell me stories about taking care of her brothers and how much her grandfather helped them out because her dad was not a great dad to them. When my mom was 12, she went to live with her Uncle Joe (her dad's brother) and Aunt Ann.  The woman with the most influence in my mom's early life (before marrying my dad) was Aunt Ann. My mom always said she owed so much to her and wouldn't know what would have happened to her if Aunt Ann had not taken her in. Aunt Ann taught my mom how to can foods in their 'summer' kitchen on the farm.  She taught my mom how to clean and cook.  Aunt Ann was there to help my mom through things I am just not ready to write about (and maybe won't be ever).  I remember moving to MA and knowing that every time we would visit family in PA, it would always include a visit to 'the farm' to see Aunt Ann. 

So, how does this relate to Barbie?  Well, my mom didn't have Barbie's and whenever she did have a doll, she says her brothers would cut off their hair or take them apart.  When I became old enough for Barbies, my mom got me a one.  She knitted and sewed all the clothes for them because my mom and dad didn't have much money.  Probably because at that time, my mom was a stay at home mom.  She wasn't called that then as that was the thing moms did, but she stayed home with me so money was tight.  Unfortunately, I didn't appreciate her homemade clothes and always whined that I didn't get store bought ones or ones from the Sears Wish Book!  

When my daughter was born, my mom got right to work!  By then, 1986, my mom was well into a new crafting era!  My mom lived to make things out of plastic canvas and yarn. She began to make all of my children toys and play sets.  She lovingly worked hours and hours making Barbie Furniture sets for my daughter, her only granddaughter. At that time, I still didn't appreciate all the work she put into making these one of a kind gifts.  I am sad to know that I was not receptive even then. My daughter didn't really like the dolls either and I felt bad knowing that my mom was working so hard on these items. 
Aunt Eva (my husband's Aunt) and Jessica opening Barbie furniture from Ma

Just the other day, Jessica sent me a video explaining cousins and great aunts and grandparents etc.  As I was looking for a picture today, I stumbled upon this one with Barbie furniture and Aunt Eva.  The furniture is long gone.  I did save a play set my mom made my youngest son, called Firetown.  Ironically, Dan went on to become a firefighter.  This set my grandsons have played with.  For now I am going to put it away in case Dan has any children to one day play with it.  

I finally now understand about the reasons why my mom made her gifts when I was little and I know it was because she loved me and didn't have the money to buy things.  I understand why my mom made my children gifts.  It was because she did it out of love for them and for the crafts she loved to make.  I finally now understand, I missed out on many many years of appreciating my mom's dedication to making things for us. I am thinking that maybe my mom was so used to staying up late and sleeping in was because she couldn't make me these things during the day when I would see them.  

The first time I visit my mom this week, I am going to thank her for all the times she stayed up late making me things she couldn't buy.  I am going to thank her for the endless hours she spent making my children things to play with.  I am going to thank her for trying to be the best mom she could be, even though she didn't really have a mom for long.  


No comments:

Post a Comment