Thursday, July 12, 2018

If This Suitcase Could Talk....

Summer vacations are great times to catch up with family, get a few chores done around the house, and take some time to recharge before embarking back into the chaos of the real world. I was fortunate to spend the 4th of July with David's family once again at his sister's pool and to enjoy having my three grandchildren for an overnight visit.  Family time puts a lot of things into perspective and really recharges my battery, reminding me of the true importance in my life. To end the week, David and I took a little trip to get away before returning to life's chaos. 

You may be wondering how this all relates to my mom and a suitcase.  It does, don't worry! As I was unpacking yesterday, I started thinking about this little green suitcase. This little green suitcase was one of the first ones that was produced with wheels and a handle. 
My mom needed to have the newest things as soon as they were available. This tattered and torn bag has seen it's better days and the wheels are a bit uneven and clunky now.  At times it is hard to pull and hard to push. We have talked about replacing it. After all, there are so many to choose from now.  Some have harder cases, some have more compartments, and some have 360 degree spinning wheels.  

As I was putting it away yesterday, I realized that this suitcase has been all over this country!  After my dad died in 1992, it became my mom's traveling companion. This little green suitcase traveled with her on her first trip with a friend to Fort Lauderdale, where she locked her keys in the rental car and some "bikers" helped her get them out! (Yup, only my mom and her friend would go during Bike Week!) This suitcase made thousands of trips to Wilkes-Barre or Scranton.  This little green suitcase made numerous trips to Foxwoods with my mom, because that was her favorite overnight place to go with her best friend Lois! This suitcase has traveled to many states, many trips to Vegas or Reno. This was the suitcase I packed for her on her last bowling trip to El Paso that she unpacked when I was not looking. With tears in my eyes, it traveled June 5, 2013 to the nursing home where my mom is now. It took refuge in her closet for almost a year until my head told my heart it was time to take it home with me because it was not going to travel any longer with my mom.  So...I brought it home and it began to travel with me!

We have taken it many times to Foxwoods too, also to Maine, and even a few times to Vermont.  Yesterday, as I put it away, I looked at it again and although I thought about the fact we need to replace it, I just can't.  I can't yet. In the afternoon yesterday, I grabbed my knitting and went to have coffee with my mom. Of course that means I had coffee and I tried to keep the cup away from her so she would not burn herself.  I needed to ask her if it was ok that I get her a new suitcase.  Of course, she won't need a suitcase again, but I felt that I needed her permission. I just can't let go of this little green suitcase because if I do, I let go of my mom.  

My mom, who likes bit duplo size legos or holding baby Shelley.  My mom who loves ice cream and who sometimes I can see a smile in her eyes when I sit down with my coffee and my knitting. My mom whose smile still lights up the room. Until my mom says it is ok, then the little green suitcase will go back downstairs and wait for it's next journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment