Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Goodnight Wichita Lineman-RIP

Alzheimer's doesn't care if you are famous.  It doesn't care if you have a lot of money or if you have little money. It truly doesn't matter how old you are. Yesterday's news of Glen Campbell's death due to complications from Alzheimer's Disease brought back so many memories for me to share. Glen Campbell was just one of the many country artists my mom listened to over and over and over. Music plays a huge part in an Alzheimer's patients life. Music is the one thing that my mom truly still enjoys the most to this day! I am blessed to know that she has an iPod with her own music. The staff can put it on for her when she needs to rest or calm down.

In many of my earliest memories, I remember my mom always having music playing in our home.  She and my dad were huge country music fans. Old time country such as Johnny Cash country music. Never a day went by when there wasn't music on in my house. My mom had radios, record players, 8 track players, cassette players, and at the end DVD players. Mom had a couple Glen Campbell records but mostly we listened to him on the various TV shows he was on. Later in life, she would buy every DVD collection she saw on tv!

When I was very young, after moving from PA to MA, my parents built a summer camp at the Templeton Fish and Game Club.  The camp was nothing special and basically a squared building with two bedrooms on one side, and unfinished bathroom, and a great room with a kitchen and living room all in one.  At night I would fall asleep listening to my mom's music as it played on her radio, always a country station.  There were no doors so it was hard not to listen to it.  I think that is when I became a fan of country music. One of my mom's favorite Christmas gifts was a 3 disc DVD player from my Aunt Karen. She had that player playing even up to the time I had to move her to the Alzheimer's Facility.  She didn't really know how to work it but would occasionally turn it on and accidentally it would play her music.

From my experience, if anyone is looking for a place for their loved one due to AD, find a place that has a lot of music.  Find a place where local people come in and sing or play instruments for the patients.  Try to make sure there is an iPod with music on just for your loved one.  My mom doesn't remember the words she wants to say.  She babbles nonsense when she talks to me. However, when she hears her favorite songs, she knows the words and can sing along!!! I watch her tap her feet and bob her head.  We are able to connect through the music and songs that she and I both remember and it makes for a heartwarming visit!


2 comments:

  1. Lots of memories falling asleep at her house with the radio on upstairs, just to wake up and listen to it in the kitchen downstairs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing about her singing along with the music, tapping her feet and bobbing her head. That gives me some comfort as I think of her enjoying that.

    ReplyDelete