Monday, August 7, 2017

When You Don't Know Where To Start, You Should Start At The Beginning!

The earliest memories about my mom's early life I remember from all of the stories she has told me over the years explain many reasons why I feel even sadder that my mom developed Early On Set Alzheimer's.  My mom was the oldest of her siblings. Her mom, my grandmother Julia, died when my mom was 9 leaving behind one daughter and two sons.  My mom pretty much became the mom of the household at the age of 9.  It always made me feel sad to know that my mom really didn't have a childhood because she was the one to help take care of her little brothers. My mom told me if it wasn't for her grandfather, they would not even have had enough food to eat because her dad had a difficult time with alcohol and often didn't return home after payday. She would tell me that if it wasn't for her grandfather, then later her aunt and uncle, she probably would never have ended up marrying my dad and subsequently having me.  

There was no one to teach my mom how to take care of a house.  She told me stories about how she tried really hard.  One day she was doing the laundry and got her arm stuck in the wringer on the washing machine.  Her grandfather was there to help rescue her. Over the years she often would tell me about how lucky I was that I didn't have to do all of the chores she had to do when she was young.  I am pretty sure I probably rolled my eyes when she said it, but now I truly understand why she never really made me do chores!  I always thought it was because I didn't do them 'right'.  Even though there is some truth to that, I realize now as I tell her story, she didn't want me to feel like she felt all those years ago. My mom wanted me to be a carefree kid! 

Back to today........I am sure my mom would be happy today to know that I did a few chores around my own house. I defrosted my freezer and made sure to dry the inside before turning it back on.  I can still see her making the million trips up and down the stairs with boiling pans of water and for an instant today I could see her using the towels to dry the inside of the freezer before putting everything back inside. Next time I see her, I will tell her about it. She most likely won't even hear what I am saying, or she might not have a clue who I am, but maybe deep down inside her heart she will know.  So I will tell her. 



No comments:

Post a Comment