Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Seeing My Mom Through Different Eyes

If you have to embark on this journey, you really need to educate yourself on this horrible disease and read as much as possible. There are many books out there and a lot of information.  I started at www.Alz.org.  I spent many many hours early in the morning and late at night reading everything I could find on this website, long before my mom was officially diagnosed, as well as after. There is a plethora of good information and contacts to be found.


Where the Light Gets In: Losing My Mother Only to Find Her Again
I also discovered that many people had their own stories to tell. It amazed me that many stories had similarities, yet at the same time many differences. Given my love for country music, I was intrigued when Brad Paisley's wife, Kimberly Williams-Paisley wrote a book about her journey as an Alzheimer's daughter. AD knows nothing about if you have famous children or if you are someone with money or with none.  It touches so many people every single day.  I pre-ordered Kimberly's book and found it to be very inspiring to me.  I would like to encourage you to read her book.  

I contacted her regarding being allowed to use her book on my blog. At first I was so excited when she responded to my request.  I guess I was a little 'star struck'. In fact, I used to tell my husband all about Brad Paisley's newest songs, etc.  Now I tell him about Kimberly instead. Much of the book resonated with me as a daughter. She claims that losing her mother actually helped her to find her again.  I feel exactly the same. There was a time when I thought I was losing my mom and that I would never have her again.  I now look at her with different eyes! Alzheimer's slowly takes your loved one.  It feels like you are losing them over and over but very slowly.

I have found my mom again.  I found her yesterday when she laughed at something I said.  I found her again yesterday when she smiled as I sat down and she saw me.  I found her again when I was just sitting with her and she was napping. I have found her again as I look through tons of old pictures! 

2 comments:

  1. Hold on to your wonderful memories, they will get you through this

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so touching. You are doing an amazing job with your mom.

    ReplyDelete